Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Formula 1

F1 still in discussions with Belgian GP organizers

SPA, BELGIUM - AUGUST 30: Max Verstappen of the Netherlands driving the (33) Aston Martin Red Bull Racing RB16 on track during the F1 Grand Prix of Belgium at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps on August 30, 2020 in Spa, Belgium. (Photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images) // Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool.

F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali revealed that they are still negotiating with the Belgian GP organizers regarding the future of the event.

The addition of the Las Vegas GP and the return of races in Qatar and China next year mean that some events are likely to lose their spot in the F1 calendar. The Belgian GP contract is expiring this year and it is among the events that are in danger.

Domenicali provided an update on the future of the Belgian GP.

“I would never have said the comments, ‘Belgium¬†will be in its last year’. I will be prudent on that comment,” he said.

“It’s true that we are working and discussing with other promoters to see if they’re ready for a full commitment this year or next year.

“We always discuss finding a mix of races where we’re going to have at least one third in Europe, one third in the far-east area, and the other third in the American and Middle East. We want it to be balanced.

“Of course, we’re talking about the business where investments and financial contribution are very important. But we have always said that the traditional races, the races that we know cannot bring the money that others are bringing, have a full respect from us.

“With Belgium, discussions are still ongoing, so I don’t know what is happening here.”

One of the events that can return to the F1 calendar and replace the Belgian GP is the South African GP. Domenicali confirmed that the decision will be made in the near future.

“I always say that we want to have a race in Africa, and as of today the most likely place to have a race in Africa is South Africa.

“Discussions are going on, as you can imagine we are talking with new promoters.

“What we are looking for is a very solid and clear, long-term commitment because we cannot be there for one year and then game over. It is a situation that is taking time.

“I think that we’re going to clarify this situation in the next few days, but for sure the commitment to be in Africa is something that we want to make, but we want to do it correctly.

“That’s why the calendar will be defined in the next couple of weeks maximum.”

Advertisement

You May Also Like

Football

Dutch player Wout Weghorst called Argentine Lionel Messi’s attitude “really disappointing” following their quarter-final match of the FIFA World Cup. Argentina eliminated the Netherlands...

Football

The Argentina national team took five penalties throughout the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. This is the most penalty kicks a team was awarded...

Football

Al Hilm will be present in the last three matches of the World Cup and only Argentina, Croatia, Morocco, and France will have the...

BREAKING NEWS

Brazil and Croatia are going to extra time after a draw of the two halves of their match at the FIFA World Cup in...