The Saudi Arabian Grand Prix is set to continue despite an attack on an oil facility in Jeddah earlier on Friday.

During the FP1, an Aramco oil facility, located close to the Jeddah Corniche Circuit, was attacked by Yemen’s Houthi militia.

Obviously, the attack raised safety concerns in the paddock and there was an emergency meeting between the F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali, the teams, and the drivers ahead of FP2.

During the meeting, Domenicali reportedly stated that the race weekend would continue and that the local government said that the safety would be ensured.

At the same time, the parties will have another meeting on Friday evening.

“We were assured by the government that it is safe to drive here. After practice, we’ll have another meeting,” the Haas team principal Guenther Steiner told ServusTV.

“Personally, I feel absolutely safe. Otherwise I wouldn’t be here.”

The Saudi Motorsport Company also released a statement regarding the situation in Jeddah:

“We are aware of the attack on the Aramco distribution station in Jeddah earlier this afternoon. The race organizers remain in direct contact with the Saudi security authorities, as well as F1 and the FIA to ensure all necessary security and safety measures continue to be implemented to guarantee the safety of all visitors to the Formula 1 STC Saudi Arabian Grand Prix as well as all drivers, teams and stakeholders.

“The race weekend schedule will continue as planned. The safety and security of all our guests continues to be our main priority and we look forward to welcoming fans for a weekend of premium racing and entertainment.”

Hi everyone! My name is Anton, I am 19 years old and I am an aspiring motorsports journalist. I love motorsports for those emotions and excitement it brings.