Andrew Shovlin has revealed why Lewis Hamilton did not use the engine from the Sao Paulo GP last week in Qatar.
- Shovlin admits that the Hamilton’s latest engine would not have given a significant advantage at the Losail International Circuit.
- The Mercedes trackside engineering director confirms that the team will have as much power as possible in Saudi Arabia and Abu Dhabi.
What he had to say:
- “Of the remaining circuits, Qatar has got the shortest amount of straight-line [sections], the shortest amount of full-throttle running, and it’s got an awful lot of cornering. The power advantage you get from that engine in Qatar is much smaller than if you run it at the two remaining circuits.”
- “All we are doing is really trying to balance the mileage across the pool, but make sure that when we use the less powerful engine, there is less of a penalty for it.”
- “That also means, when we get to the final two tracks, we are going to have the most power that we possibly can.”