Kimi Raikkonen expressed his surprise after finding the performance to fight amongst the midfield during the Qatar GP.
- Raikkonen started the Qatar GP in the lower positions of the field – 16th, beside the Williams of George Russell.
- While he finished 14th in the race and brought home no points for Alfa Romeo, he was still gaining pace on the other midfield drivers.
- He also demonstrated his pace by setting the 6th fastest lap of the race out of every driver.
What he had to say:
- “It was good to race with some people, but it was pretty much the same as [qualifying]: lacking a bit of speed everywhere.”
- “The car was actually getting better and better as we were going through the race, we gained some positions, in the end, I was catching up, but I was lacking a bit of speed, so it’s a bit of a shame…”
- “I was surprised. I managed to pass quite a few cars into turn 1 and I had thought it would be a bit more tricky.”