Daniel Ricciardo encountered fuel issues during the Qatar GP that hindered his progression through the field.
- Ricciardo couldn’t make it to Q3 during Saturday qualifying, finishing at a dismal P14 compared to Lando Norris’ P6.
- The Australian struggled to make up positions in the race and only finished P12, scoring no points for McLaren.
What he had to say:
- “After the start, we had fuel saving from super early in the race. And I started doing what I thought was already a lot, and it was not enough.”
- “So Tom [Stallard, race engineer] said: ‘You need to do more, you need to do more. It’s not enough and blah, blah, blah.'”
- “To a point where I think at times we were losing probably two seconds a lap fuel saving. And with that, brakes get cold, tires get cold, and you lose grip as well, so it’s just kind of a downward spiral.”
- “So we were fuel saving for I would say a good half of the race and that just took us way, way out.”