Max Verstappen finished second behind championship rival Lewis Hamilton in Qatar but is pleased with the fastest lap point.
- Verstappen made a great start during the opening laps after starting 7th, but couldn’t match Hamilton’s pace.
- However, Verstappen pitted under the Virtual Safety Car period brought out to recover a stricken Williams with a puncture. The Dutchman switched to soft tires to secure the point for the fastest lap of the race.
- Verstappen’s lead over Hamilton is reduced to just 8 points now. Hamilton racked up his second consecutive win with only two races remaining this season.
What he had to say:
- “Of course, our starting position was a bit compromised, but luckily we had a really good start. From there on, I was quite quickly back into second, so at the end of the day to get that fastest lap was very nice and of course, I know it’s going to be difficult to the end, but I think that’s nice, it keeps it exciting.”
- When asked about the championship skirmish with Mercedes, he replied with: “It was good, this track is a lot of fun to drive as well, it’s really quick.”
- He was then questioned about how he felt about the season finale, to which he responded: “I feel good, it’s going to be a tight battle to the end.”