Fernando Alonso has reflected on the Qatar Grand Prix, where he brought a podium result for Alpine.
- Alonso finished 3rd, scoring his first F1 podium since the 2014 Hungarian GP.
- The Spaniard is thankful to the team for the outstanding performance.
What he had to say:
- “Unbelievable. Seven years [without a podium], but finally we got it. We were close in a couple of races, but not enough, Sochi was the latest possibility.”
- “Honestly, I thought to be leading after lap 1. I thought that with the red [soft] tire I could have a go on Lewis [Hamilton], but I couldn’t, and then with Checo [Perez] it was very close at the end, but I’m so happy for the team. Also, Esteban [Ocon] in P5, so [it’s a] good Sunday.”
- “We planned a one-stop [strategy] from the beginning, but we never knew how bad the wear and degradation were, it’s a new race for everybody. But I think the race was well-executed, the pit-stop was fantastic, the team was great, the reliability of the car is superb, they [Alpine] deserve it.”
- “I was waiting so long for this, so I’m happy.”