Alfa Romeo Racing has officially confirmed that Guanyu Zhou will drive for the team in the upcoming Formula 1 season.
Why it matters: Zhou becomes Valtteri Bottas’ newest teammate and takes the final available seat on the 2022 F1 grid.
- Zhou is currently one of the championship contenders in Formula 2, sitting in P2 in the standings with 142 points scored.
- Zhou is the first Chinese driver in the Formula 1 history.
- “It is a pleasure to welcome Guanyu Zhou to Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN. He is a very talented driver, as his results in F2 have shown, and we are looking forward to helping his talent flourish even more in Formula 1. We are proud of our line-up for 2022 and we are confident Zhou will form a very successful partnership with Valtteri,” the team principal Frederic Vasseur said.
- “I dreamt from a young age of climbing as high as I can in a sport that I am passionate about and now the dream has come true. It is a privilege for me to start my Formula 1 racing career with an iconic team, a team that has introduced so much young talent into Formula 1 in the past. Now the dream is reality. I feel well prepared for the immense challenge of Formula 1, the pinnacle of my sport, alongside a proven, world-class talent in Valtteri Bottas,” Zhou added.
- “Next year the target will be to learn as much as possible and as quickly as possible. To be the first ever Chinese driver in Formula 1 is a breakthrough for Chinese motorsport history. I know a lot of hopes will be resting on me and, as ever, I will take this as motivation to become better and achieve more.”