Toto Wolff thinks Mercedes’ “very hard” battle with Ferrari in 2019 correlates with some reliability issues the team is experiencing.
- Ferrari challenged Mercedes for the title in 2019, pushing both teams to the limit in a vigorous fight.
- Mercedes prevailed, but Toto Wolff believes that so many resources were spent on maximizing performance that they neglected the reliability of their components.
What he had to say:
- “We were pushed very hard in 2019, and came with a power unit in 2020 that was right there, but maybe it stretched us too much.”
- “If you are in the constant pursuit of performance, sometimes reliability falls behind. And I guess this is what happened.”
- “We are not yet 100 percent comfortable from our side from reliability and from the degradation side. What we know for sure is that we are losing power the more we run that.”