Toyoharu Tanabe reveals that Honda is not going to put new power units in either Red Bull or AlphaTauri cars.
- Power unit reliability and grid penalties are among of the biggest topics in the final stint of the 2021 F1 season.
- The Honda technical chief is quite surprised with Mercedes’ decision to replace another engine in Lewis Hamilton’s car at the Sao Paulo GP.
What he had to say:
- Yes, I’m pretty surprised. Changing the ICE week after week.”
- “So after, I cannot believe what’s going on and why. But from the PU manufacturer point of view, it is disappointing to get a PU penalty for the driver.”
- “The current plan is we can manage the PUs the rest of the season for all drivers. We had some accidents during the season and then lose some PUs, but at the moment, we have a sufficient number of units for all drivers.”