Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff is not happy with Valtteri Bottas as he left room for Max Verstappen to go alongside the Mercedes.
- Verstappen overtook both Mercedes cars at the start of the race.
- Wolff considers Bottas left room for the Dutch driver to do so, and stated that such things “should not happen.”
What he said:
- “That should not happen. I think we had two cars in front and seemed to open up the seal for Max to come around the outside.”
Another level: Wolff congratulated Red Bull for the pace, which he considered was “on another level.” The team principal also admitted that Bottas spinning out in the first lap is “very painful” for the constructors’ championship.
- “You have to congratulate Red Bull because the pace was just on another level. I don’t think we could have won the race, even if we would have stayed ahead in the first corner because they could have driven circles around us, around the pit stops.”
- “So at the end, I think for Lewis’ championship it was damage limitation. As for the constructors, Valtteri spinning out turn one was just very painful.”