Valtteri Bottas thinks that Mercedes will overcome their weaknesses in Mexico to get closer to “really strong” Red Bull.
- The Mexican GP has been quite strong for Red Bull in the past, with Max Verstappen having won two of the past three races there.
- The circuit requires a higher-downforce setting to the car, which has proven to be one of Red Bull’s strengths.
- Despite Mercedes’ disadvantage, Valtteri Bottas believes that they can still boost their performance to keep up with Red Bull.
What he had to say:
- “For Mexico, we know it’s been usually a bit of a weakness for us. And it feels like quite a big chunk [of that] has been, in the recent years, from the power unit with high altitude.”
- “But I think we’ve been able to optimize a lot since, so I would expect us to be in better place than in the recent years.”
- “Still, on paper, we think they [Mexico and Brazil] are really strong places for Red Bull. We’ve just really tried to [take] all the learnings we’ve done from previous years and prepare the best that way. So they’re not going to be easy weekends, but it’s never easy in this sport.”