Christian Horner says it would have been too “brutal” to pit Sergio Perez for a shot at the fastest lap of the US GP.
- Perez made a podium appearance at the US GP, finishing comfortably ahead of Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc.
- This was Perez’ second successive podium finish, which team principal Christian Horner praised.
- Leclerc was only 10 seconds behind the Mexican, meaning he was unable to pit and shoot for the fastest lap.
What he had to say:
- “It would have been brutal to pit Checo and take him off the podium,” Horner told Motorsport.com.
- “Leclerc was obviously too close behind. In the collective position of the team, it was better for Checo to take the points. So that’s what we did.”
- “The way he managed the race, you could see his confidence is growing,” Horner told Sky Sports.
- “That’s the second race in a row he’s on the podium now. His home race is coming up. He’s finding his form, which is crucial for us at this time of the year.”