Christian Horner has reflected on the successful United States Grand Prix for Red Bull Racing.
Why it matters: Red Bull got a double podium finish at COTA with Max Verstappen winning the race and Sergio Perez finishing third.
- Horner was not sure whether Verstappen could hold off Hamilton on the final laps.
- The Red Bull team principal hailed Verstappen’s performance in the race.
What he had to say:
- “I really didn’t think he was going to pull that off with Lewis on eight-lap fresher tires. We were down to the canvas on the first set of tires came off. To manage the tire to make sure he had enough left for the last six or seven laps. Lewis you know he’s so strong, he’s gone long and brought himself an advantage. To lose here would’ve been really painful, Max held on and did a great job.”
- “He managed the race really smartly. We had good pace on the medium. The first stint, Max was able to put pressure on Lewis. Our car on that tire was better than theirs. Lewis was starting to slide and we were starting to overheat the tire so we went for track position and gave us more work to do.”
- “We were convinced they were looking at the undercut at the end of the second stint. We know they had good degradation, we knew we were running out of tires so we banked the track position but that meant the last 10 laps were crucial.”