Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff admits that Lewis Hamilton finishing the United States Grand Prix in P2 is a “better than expected” result.
Why it matters: The Mercedes cars struggled to keep up with Red Bull during yesterday’s qualifying and today’s Grand Prix.
- Wolff stated that the race was about “interesting” stragies and classified Red Bull’s first stop “super aggressive,” a bold move that paid off for Verstappen.
- The team principal admitted their car was not fast enough on the medium compound tires.
What he said:
- “I think it was some interesting strategy game and great racing. We thought we had a sniff at the end. The moment you get close to a car it’s hard. They went for a super agressive first stop… that was bold.”
- “They deserve to win today. The car was not quick enough on the medium. We were debating about the undercut but lap 11 or 12 was too early. We didn’t think the hard would last.”
- “P2 is better than expected. It’s a fine line between downforce and drag. Mexico is a track that is traditionally hard for us but this season everything can change. It’s race by race.”