Daniel Ricciardo admits that Carlos Sainz has had a good performance during last Sunday’s Turkish Grand Prix.
Why it matters: Both drivers started the race on the last row but their days had different outcomes – Sainz was 8th, while Ricciardo finished the race only 13th.
- Ricciardo believes that Sainz had more grip during the race.
- The McLaren driver reveals that he did not manage to make his tires work after the pit stop.
What he had to say:
- “We were side-by-side the first lap, I think I was ahead at one point, he was ahead, then we went back and forth and then he got me back.”
- “But then his ability to come through the field and keep going… it wasn’t really like his start was better and it put him in a better position it was just he was faster and he had more grip available. I just saw some of the moves he made, he drove very well so I’m not taking that away from him, but you could tell he was driving with confidence and the grip was was giving him a lot.”
- “I pitted, thought we’d be quick with clear air on a new tire, weren’t really that quick. We went through a phase where it was mediocre, then it’s like it cleared. And I remember four good laps where I felt like I could really lean on the tire and I started to smile under the helmet and then it fell away again.”