Fernando Alonso took responsibility for clashing with Mick Schumacher during the opening laps of Sunday’s Turkish Grand Prix.
- Alonso tumbled to the back of the field after Pierre Gasly clipped him into a spin on the first lap.
- The Spaniard attempted to recover and lunged up the inside of Schumacher’s Haas, which resulted in a collision that sent Schumacher’s car around.
What he had to say:
- “I thought I was alongside him, but obviously it was a late move, so we touched each other,” Alonso told Motorsport.com.
- “Unfortunately he had the spin, and I got the penalty. I take it, of course. I’m sorry to have the collision with him.”
- “Obviously that happened only because I was P14. I should not have been in that position. The luck seems to keep avoiding us this year big time. I guess we are accumulating a lot for next year.”