Christian Horner confirms that Red Bull Racing did not expect Mercedes’ progress with the power unit.
Why it matters: According to the latest reports, Mercedes managed to gain extra horsepower from their power unit.
- Horner admits that Red Bull cannot reach Mercedes at the straights.
- The Red Bull team principal insists that the team should respond to Mercedes’ latest progress.
What he had to say:
- “Their straight-line speed has taken a significant step recently. Whereas we could match them with smaller wings previously, now we can’t get near.”
- “Lewis, in particular, had a significant straight-line advantage with a bigger rear wing on the car.”
- “We’ve got to maximize our package as best we can and as I say it’s surprising that they appeared to have made the step that they have with the power unit.”