Sebastian Vettel admitted that he had initiated the decision to pit for dry tires during the Turkish Grand Prix.
- Vettel pitted for medium tires while conditions were still very damp on-track.
- He stayed on these tires for a lap before changing back to intermediates as there was no grip on dry tires.
- Vettel took responsibility for the decision to pit for dry tires.
What he had to say:
- “Together [we made the dry tire call] but in the end, I made the decision, I wanted to try to go for it.”
- “On the inters there was nothing left, so I thought the dry tires could be as good but I couldn’t break them in and just had no grip and lost so much time as I couldn’t make them work.”
- “It was worse than I expected, even if it was damp a little bit here and there, or wet. But the main thing was I couldn’t break the tire in and then you are just sliding on the top.”