Sergio Perez says he will not make any risky defenses against Lewis Hamilton to assist Max Verstappen’s championship fight.
Why it matters: Max Verstappen is in a prime position to score more points for his championship bid than Lewis Hamilton this Sunday, as the Briton took a 10-place grid penalty for the race. Verstappen’s teammate Perez starts ahead of Hamilton
- Perez lines up sixth on the grid, with Hamilton starting from eleventh. Verstappen starts from second position.
- Perez does not want to treat Hamilton differently from his other competitors
- his main objective is to compete for the top positions rather than to act as a wingman for Verstappen.
What he said:
- “I will treat Lewis as any other rival out there. I want to do the best possible job for myself and I won’t make it easy for anyone.”
- “I really hope that the Lewis doesn’t get me [and] that I make enough progress early on in the race [so] that I’m able to be with the leaders. That would be key for me tomorrow.”