Lewis Hamilton is dissatisfied with the strategy at the Turkish Grand Prix race, where he crossed the finish line 5th.
Why it matters: The Mercedes driver had a pit stop on lap 50, though he insisted that he should stay out.
- Hamilton feels that he could have avoided a pit stop, like Esteban Ocon did.
- The Briton is satisfied with 5th place, but admits that he wanted to be on podium.
What he had to say:
- “[Esteban] Ocon did [finish on starting compound], I heard, so I assume they probably could,” Hamilton told Sky Sports.
- “I didn’t know at that time but I could have probably assumed that I would lose..the guys were only 15 seconds behind, it’s a 24 second pit stop. So I knew that I’d lose, perhaps, one.”
- “It felt good to be in third and I was like ‘If I can just hold on to this, this is a great result from 11th. Fifth was worse, but it could be worse.”