AlphaTauri’s team principal Franz Tost has revealed Red Bull’s plans for the Abu Dhabi Young Driver Test.
Why it matters: The Young Driver Test is important for evaluating drivers’ capabilities in Formula 1, so Liam Lawson and Juri Vips are most likely being evaluated for the future.
- Formula 1 will require teams to run rookies in practice sessions, starting next year.
- In the recent years, it has become increasingly difficult for junior drivers to make it to Formula 1 with a combination of a lack of spaces and funding required.
What he had to say:
- “With us, they are Liam Lawson and Juri Vips, who will also contest the Young Driver Test in Abu Dhabi. Lawson with us [Alpha Tauri], Vips with Red Bull Racing. Formula 2 is very busy this year.”
- “There were always too few places in Formula 1. At the moment there are 20 cars and they have the best drivers.”
- “I don’t see the third car: it starts with who is supposed to finance it. In addition, the paddock and pits are at their limit in terms of space. I don’t even know where to put the third car.”