Daniel Ricciardo has reflected on a chaotic Russian GP after finishing one step away from the podium.
Why it matters: After a string of up and down results, Ricciardo has been able to finish in the top 4 in three out of the last four races.
- Ricciardo’s P4 finish, combined with teammate Lando Norris’ P7 finish with a fastest lap, put McLaren 17.5 points clear of Ferrari in the fight for P3 in the Constructor’s Championship.
- Ricciardo capitalized on Norris’ late misfortune, rising to P4 late in the race.
What he had to say:
- “I think crossing the line, I’m pretty happy. I started fifth, got fourth, so the points were better than what they were on lap one so it’s one of my better results this year and we’ll take the end result.”
- “When the conditions are like this it can get bad really quickly and on the in lap at Turn 7, I was facing the barrier for a little bit, so to survive all that and come through it was good. I could see Sainz [who finished third] after we pitted and initially on the inter he pulled away, but then I got him back and maybe a couple more we could have got close.”
- “There are some positives, some things still to work on. I’m keen to understand what I can keep doing to improve.”