Oscar Piastri wants to make his F1 debut in 2023, and is prepared to stay on the sidelines for 2022.
Why it matters: Piastri’s bid for the 2022 Alfa Romeo seat is losing momentum, which means he will have to search for options elsewhere.
- Piastri is currently leading the Formula 2 championship in his rookie year.
- If he takes the Formula 2 crown, he will not be able to return to Formula 2 for the 2022 season.
What he had to say:
- “Looking forward, that Alfa seat, I’m not very confident about that,” Piastri told Motorsport.com
- “Realistically, the most logical pathway is to try and be reserve driver for Alpine next year and put in a lot of hours in the sim and really working with the team to try and get a 2023 seat.”
- “The aim would definitely be to try and be reserve driver at Alpine and then target a 2023 season. Give how the cards have been played this year, I think that’s the most realistic target now.”