Alpine’s Fernando Alonso is happy with his qualifying results and admits having “illusions” for the race as he qualified 6th ahead of his teammate Sebastian Ocon.
- Alonso stated that his result is thanks to the weather conditions.
- He admits feeling competitive both on dry and wet conditions at Sochi, something which gives him confidence for tomorrow’s Grand Prix.
What he had to say:
- He told, in Spanish, to Dazn F1: “It’s always hard when you don’t have practice and go straight to qualifying. It’s been stressful, but in the end we’ve managed to qualify sixth, a result that we wouldn’t have achieved under normal conditions.”
- “I didn’t enjoy it. In seven years we didn’t do a lap in the wet and suddenly you have to go out in Q1 and push in unknown conditions. I didn’t enjoy it, but I’ve felt competitive both in the dry and wet.”
- “In the last lap I went a bit wide in turn 16 and touched the water, which angers me because I could have been fourth. But today I’m way ahead of my teammate, which is something that gives me illusions.”