Lewis Hamilton admits that Mercedes needs a “maximum result” at Sochi to expand the gap to both Max Verstappen and Red Bull.
Why it matters: Verstappen will start on the last row on Sunday due to an engine penalty, and Hamilton wants to get the most out of this situation to take the lead of the championship.
- Hamilton spoke about the start of the weekend, saying that the team is doing well, and it seems that the pace is promising.
- The Mercedes driver thinks that there is still room for improvement in the long run, but apart from that, he feels that the car is competitive.
What he had to say:
- We’ve just got to do our thing and focus. It’s a tough year, I think, for everyone with reliability. That’s a shame for him. But we’ve got to try and capitalize on that, get a maximum result. A one-two would be spectacular for us as a team.”
- “It seems like we started off on the right foot. We’re always trying to progress.”
- “We’ve got some work [to do] probably on the long run.”