Toto Wolff spoke about Hamilton’s new approach to his battles with Verstappen, in which the Mercedes driver won’t be willing to back down as much.
Why it matters: The championship fight between Verstappen and Hamilton is heating up, which leads to more aggressiveness on track and, therefore, more incidents between the two.
- Wolff said Hamilton “won’t bail out anymore” when he believes he’s got the advantage through a corner.
- The Mercedes team principal admitted that both drivers would be able to avoid collisions if they wanted to.
What he had to say:
- “I think the change of approach is that Lewis pretty much decided not to bail out any more when he thinks that the corner is his.”
- “They are in the cars, we have no influence on the driving. They will know much better than we how the other one is racing and it’s interesting to watch.”
- “I think they pretty much know what they do. In my opinion if they both wanted to avoid collisions, we would have less collisions.”
- “If they don’t avoid collisions because they feel it’s right to not bail out or not give room, then we will have more. We are not sitting in the cars.”