Formula 2 and Formula 3 will have a new race weekend format starting from the 2022 season.
- Race weekends will consist of practice and qualifying on Friday, Sprint Race on Saturday, and Feature Race on Sunday.
- The top 10 of Formula 2’s and the top 12 of Formula 3’s qualifyings will be reversed for Sprint Race.
- Formula 2 and Formula 3 will race again at the same venue and remain Formula 1’s support series.
What they had to say:
- “We want to ensure all our fans get the maximum entertainment during a race weekend and bringing the Championships back together in 2022 will provide more racing action during our events and ensure our fans have activity that will keep them engaged and excited,” the F1 president and CEO Stefano Domenicali commented.
- “This is great news for the fans because we are enhancing the overall F1 Grand Prix weekend experience, having all three Championships racing together, at as many events as possible. However, we are keeping our races where the most points are allocated and the stakes are higher on Sundays, ahead of the Formula 1 Grand Prix,” F2 and F3 CEO Bruno Michel added.