Nikita Mazepin explained what his relationship with Mick Schumacher is like at the moment.
Why it matters: The Haas teammates have had several on-track collisions and tensions during this season.
- Mazepin said that both him and Schumacher are having a difficult situation in Formula 1 since their car does not allow them to fight for the points.
- The Russian driver also added that he wants to fight to reach the top in the sport, just like Schumacher, and it is normal to have a rivalry between them.
- He concluded by saying that he fights to finish in front of Schumacher, but he always does it within the rules and in a fair way.
What he had to say:
- “I think it’s just two young drivers who are willing to get to the top of Formula 1, and who’s been put in a difficult position where, realistically, as the year goes on more and more, we can fight with each other only,” Mazepin said on the Beyond the Grid podcast.
- “[Schumacher’s] is the only car at the moment in the last few races that I was able to get in front, so on a personal level, it doesn’t impact.
- “We’ve got media, and there are external factors why this competition is interesting for people,” he said, “but everything I do, I do within the rules. And I’m confident that there will not be any big issues.”