Charles Leclerc will have a new power unit on his SF21 car this weekend at Sochi, which results in a grid drop.
Why it matters: The Monegasque receives a brand-new specification of the power unit, earlier announced by Mattia Binotto.
- Ferrari wants to gather data for the 2022 power unit from the new specification.
- Only Leclerc will get the new power unit at the Russian GP.
What they had to say:
- “Its main purpose is to gain experience for the 2022 car project. A great deal of effort has gone into this, both technically and logistically, and so as to be able to use it as soon as possible, its introduction will be staggered between the drivers,” the Ferrari statement reads.
- “In Sochi, Leclerc will have a brand new power unit and will therefore start from the back of the grid.”
- “As to when the updated hybrid system is fitted to Carlos’ car, that will be decided following an evaluation of the right compromise between competitiveness and the impact of the penalty.”