Enea Bastianini admitted after his first MotoGP podium at the San Marino GP that overtaking Marc Marquez felt “fantastic”.
Why it matters: Bastianini scored his first MotoGP podium after starting in P12. The Italian said that overtaking Marquez was incredible, and he was also hoping to get the victory.
- Bastianini admitted that he did not think the race would be easy and that he could score a podium after the warm-up. However, he gained confidence when he managed to overtake many riders at the start.
- The Italian also said that in the last few rounds he adapted to the bike and he feels calmer while riding now.
Yeah, very cool. Also, to overtake Marc, the boss of the MotoGP, it was fantastic. When I see this time [to the leaders] I think, ‘Okay, I can win!’ But after my pace [meant it] was a little bit impossible to win.Enea Bastianini
What he had to say:
- “The key, I don’t know because this morning my pace not so bad, but not competitive to do a podium.
- “But during the race, something changed, and I was competitive with the braking to enter [the corners].
- “My bike has good potential because it’s nice, but it’s quite aggressive because it pumps a lot and also has some [wheelie] in the straight.
- “But here and at Aragon, I adapted my style in this bike, and now I’m more relaxed during my races, and I can be fast in every part of the race.”