Daniel Ricciardo admitted that deep down he knew he could win the Italian GP on Sunday.
Why it matters: McLaren called the Australian for an early pit stop and after that, Ricciardo understood that winning the Italian GP was possible.
- Ricciardo revealed that he saw Max Verstappen coming closer at some stages, but the Dutch could not attack him properly.
- At the end of the first stint, Ricciardo thought that Verstappen could pass him since he was struggling with tire wear, but he pitted early and kept the position.
What he had to say:
- “I think where I felt I was a little vulnerable was at the end of that stint, where the tires were going off, but I believe the others were suffering as well. In my head, I was thinking we were going to be vulnerable at that moment. I pitted and I think everyone else pitted as well, so I think we were all struggling at the same moment.
- “It was then when we came back out in the lead [that] I was like, ‘Alright, we’ve got this today. Unless something unfortunate happens, we can win this race.
- “I think that’s when any last bit of belief you need, you top it up, and you’re like, ‘Someone is going to have to take it from me because otherwise, we’re winning this thing.'”