Sergio Perez does not like the Sprint Qualifying format as he believes that it is “boring” and it “does not bring anything” to the fans.
Why it matters: Perez explained his comment by saying that the Sprint Qualifying did not offer much at Monza since it was difficult to pass and the tire wear was low.
- There was not much action in the Sprint Qualifying on Saturday at Monza. The overtakes have not been much and Perez believes that due to that the short race was “very boring”.
- To improve the new format, which not everyone likes, Formula 1 is already working on some adjustments.
Nothing is happening in it, and I don’t see the benefit of having the sprint race. I can imagine it’s also boring for fans, boring for drivers. It doesn’t bring anything, to be honest.Sergio Perez
- To conclude, Perez said that the current cars do not allow to perform many overtakes due to the low degradation in such a short race.
- The pace delta that a driver needs to overtake is too high. However, Perez thinks that with the new cars, this format could work better.
- “The problem that we have is with the current Formula 1 cars, to overtake, you need a very big delta across cars,” Perez said.