The Mercedes team principal believes Red Bull wasn’t running at full pace during Free Practice 1.
- Lewis Hamilton topped the Italian GP’s Practice 1 with Max Verstappen behind by 0.452 seconds.
- Mercedes is considering taking a fourth power unit and receiving a grid penalty for this weekend’s race.
What he had to say:
- “I think we’re all struggling on power units, maybe not only reliability, but also how much these power units work… how much are they really degrading?” Wolff said.
- “As it seems, we only saw one lap really turned up with the engine and that was [Sergio] Perez pretty early on in the session, so I think they probably have three- or four-tenths in the pocket with the power unit,” he commented regarding Red Bull’s pace.
- “But then, we have a tire difference [mediums and softs] so, yeah, I’m actually pretty pleased. But you know how it goes, you’re all jolly and then, three hours later, you get one on the nose.”