Formula E will make a guest appearance in Rome this weekend. The drivers are very surprised about this, as the lockdown still applies in Italy.
Italy was already considered one of the hotspots last year when it came to new COVID infections. Now they still rank seventh in growing new infections worldwide.
Now the country is to remain closed until April 30, but the race in Rome will still take place.
Among other things, the track course has also changed and has been revised.
It will be the first true street circuit on the Formula E calendar since the Bern E-Prix on June 22, 2019. All subsequent races have been held on temporary tracks.
Lucas di Grassi, driver for the Audi team, said: “Congratulations to Formula E and to everybody from Rome that has allowed this race to happen. It is not short of a miracle that we are here racing this weekend with all the right protocols and everything. It is fundamental that we go back to racing street tracks like we are racing with this weekend.”
Sam Bird, Jaguar Racing, added: “I want to echo what Lucas said. A lot of acknowledgment needs to be to Formula E and to everybody that made this happen. It is a bit of a miracle we are here racing in such an iconic city. Given the circumstances, it’s amazing.”