The second qualifying session of the Desert X-Prix in Saudi Arabia is over.
Lewis Hamilton’s team took first place with a clear gap of 41 seconds. The two times from Q1 and 2 are combined to produce the end figure and order. The top 3 teams go into the semi-final race tomorrow, from which the top two go to the final. The next three go to the ‘crazy race’ and the winner qualifies for the final.
The bottom three teams compete for the final points in a shootout – but with Veloce already out for this weekend due to damage on their car, ABT Cupra unable to compete in the second qualifying, which might be a bit of a gift to the seventh-place team.
The top three are X44, Acciona Sainz, and Rosberg Extreme Racing. After them, Andretti United, Hispano Suiza and JBXE are in the crazy race. Chip Ganassi, ABT Cupra, and Veloce all failed to compete in qualifying two – so they’re in the shootout if Chip Ganassi and ABT Cupra can get their cars going again tonight.
The start to the second session went anything but well for the JBXE Racing Team as they get a 175 seconds penalty. This is painful for the team because they were so much faster in their second run, but it drops them down to the sixth place. On the bright side for them, they may be the only contenders in tomorrow’s shoot-out for the three worst cars from qualifying; Veloce had to pull out of the event after they couldn’t safely fix their Odyssey, and ABT Cupra dropped out of qualifying and is still fighting to make it back tomorrow.
The standings after Qualifying 2:
- X44 (Sebastien Loeb/Christina Gutierrez) 21:55.998
- Acciona Sainz (Carlos Sainz/Laia Sanz) +41.097
- Rosberg Extreme Racing (Johan Kristoffesson/Molly Taylor) +50.825
- Andretti United Extreme E (Catie Munnings/Timmy Hansen) +1:08.536
- Hispano Suiza Xite (Christine Giampoli Zonca/Oliver Bennett) +3:14.734
- JBXE (Jenson Button/Mikaela Ahlin-Kottulinsky) +4:54.880
- Chip Ganassi Racing (Kyle LeDuc/Sara Price) +2 Laps
- ABT Cupra (Mattias Ekstrom/Claudia Huertgen) +3 Laps
- Veloce Racing Extreme E (Stephane Sarrazin/Jamie Chadwick) +4 Laps